[PC-BSD Testing] Update -- Spontaneous Video Resolution Change Solved

Ian Robinson fitchkendall at gmail.com
Wed Jan 13 09:54:32 PST 2010

Earlier I had posted about how I had a spontaneous change of video
resolution upon entering the Display Manager (System Settings -> Display).
I now believe that this was caused by not using a "supported resolution" on
my monitor.

The specs for my 21" CRT monitor (Nokia Multigraph 445Xpro) show it supports
the following resolutions:

640 x 480: up to 150 Hz
800 x 600: up to 150 Hz
1024 X 768: up to 120 Hz
1280 x 1024: up to 114 Hz
1600 x 1200: up to 95 Hz
1800 x 1350: up to 85 Hz
1800 x 1440: up to 80 Hz

1800 x 1440 is labeled as "preferred"

However, I had set it to "1600x1024"  which I had long used under PCBSD
7.1.1 without problem.  But when compared to the list, the "1600x1024 is not
a specific supported resolution.

After changing to a supported resolution, the erratic behavior ceased.

Conclusion --  The user caused the problem, and it was not caused by a
FreeBSD/PCBSD/Display Manager/KDE/Nvidia problem.  Whenever a user complains
that his resolution is changing without his or her control, the user should
check to see that a supported resolution has been used in /etc/xorg.conf.

Ian Robinson
Salem, Ohio