[PC-BSD Testing] samba module

doverosx at gmail.com doverosx at gmail.com
Tue Jan 12 19:54:44 PST 2010

Mike Bybee wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 12, 2010 at 10:14 AM, Stephan Assmus <superstippi at gmx.de
> <mailto:superstippi at gmx.de>> wrote:
>

>     Yes, unlike "Linux", FreeBSD is a complete operating system - if you
>     consider text-based "complete" (I don't mean to imply anything here).
>
>     Best regards,
>     -Stephan
>

> That's an interesting comment - why would an operating system need an
> integrated X11/Aqua/Windows style GUI? I think by and large, the
> majority of operating systems do not actually have an integrated GUI
> like that... in fact, Linux certainly doesn't (hence the ability to
> swap out X11/Xorg/etc) nor does OSX (since I can do much the same
> there). I think only a few like Menuet and Windows Vista onwards have
> this.
>
> Not being critical, but it certainly is a very different way to look
> at an OS than I'm used to (especially since I run typically almost
> entirely text only, using a GUI only for Firefox, Rhythmbox, RDC, and
> tons of terminal sessions really)
>

> --
> Thanks,
> Mike Bybee

Operating System: A collection of software to manage and operate
computer components. FreeBSD has been complete since 4.2 as far as I'm
concerned. In school I've made shells, compilers, virtual memory
systems, soon to be gui-stuff and more so there is a LOT of work in ANY OS.

Text-based or not, FreeBSD is COMPLETE without quotes.

Brodey