[PC-BSD Testing] samba module

Mike Bybee mbybee at dometrilogy.com
Tue Jan 12 09:34:58 PST 2010

On Tue, Jan 12, 2010 at 10:14 AM, Stephan Assmus <superstippi at gmx.de> wrote:

> Yes, unlike "Linux", FreeBSD is a complete operating system - if you
> consider text-based "complete" (I don't mean to imply anything here).
>
> Best regards,
> -Stephan

That's an interesting comment - why would an operating system need an
integrated X11/Aqua/Windows style GUI? I think by and large, the majority of
operating systems do not actually have an integrated GUI like that... in
fact, Linux certainly doesn't (hence the ability to swap out X11/Xorg/etc)
nor does OSX (since I can do much the same there). I think only a few like
Menuet and Windows Vista onwards have this.

Not being critical, but it certainly is a very different way to look at an
OS than I'm used to (especially since I run typically almost entirely text
only, using a GUI only for Firefox, Rhythmbox, RDC, and tons of terminal
sessions really)

--
Thanks,
Mike Bybee