[PC-BSD Testing] samba module

Stephan Assmus superstippi at gmx.de
Tue Jan 12 09:14:12 PST 2010

Hi all,

thanks for all the insightful comments. It appears I've had a peak into
this community and development team for far too short a time to draw any
conclusions as to how bugs in packages are usually handled. My previous
comments may have shown my ignorance as to what a spectacular job has been
done with PC-BSD. As I said, I didn't mean to discourage anyone!

Yes, unlike "Linux", FreeBSD is a complete operating system - if you
consider text-based "complete" (I don't mean to imply anything here).
PC-BSD is much more distribution-like - as Kris explained there are like
750 packages on top of the FreeBSD foundation.

I think my observations that stuff often gets turned off if it's broken,
and that the several layers of development seem to be a problem still
holds, but I perfectly understand the reasons. Lack of resources is
something I can personally relate to very much, since I am also a core
developer of an open source operating system. :-)

To cheer you up a bit, if any of you are interested, I have finished
collecting benchmark results for a number of operating systems, and FreeBSD
comes out on top:

<http://www.haiku-os.org/blog/stippi/2010-01-12_everyone_loves_benchmarks>

Best regards,
-Stephan