[PC-BSD Testing] samba module

Mike Bybee mbybee at dometrilogy.com
Tue Jan 12 07:30:36 PST 2010

On Tue, Jan 12, 2010 at 7:49 AM, Arthur Koziol <A-Koziol at neiu.edu> wrote:

> One thing you have to understand is that FreeBSD in NOT a distribution
> and you cannot at all compare it to the various and sundry Linux distro.
> It's the closest thing to real Unix and it's related standards.

I think the term 'distro' is more generic these days, but yes - it is very
true that FreeBSD is its own OS. Based directly BSD, but designed as a port
to run Unix on x86. The difference becomes obvious whenever dealing with
real BSD tools (not add-on stuff like KDE). BSD is architected, not
composited.

> They can't be faulted for what the KDE guys are doing and the
> direction they are choosing to take.

Also a very good point, which fits into what I said earlier, and the
original comment. KDE does their own thing. That's fine and all, but we're
not here to create a version of KDE for BSD. There is a different mailing
list for that ;)

I think with KDE 4.4, all the stuff that people have
> complained about when KDE 3.5.x development ceased will *finally* be up
> to par. Qt 4.6 still hasn't made it to BSD as far as I know but it's got
> huge performance improvements, even compared to those of Qt 4.5.x.

I don't really agree here - but my opinion on the state of KDE's current
completely awful look and feel don't really factor in. PC-BSD 8 is still an
attempt to make the giant pile of complex config work smoothly on a desktop
for the average technical/linux type can have up and running without
futzing. It's far more accessible to just pop in PC-BSD and go about the day
than go through sysinstall (now missing the lovely and useful X User package
set) and then install X, configure X, configure a wm, install an
environment, set it to run, set the permissions, and then go back, set DHCP
up *again*, etc...

> Arthur

Kris and the guys at IXSystems, along with the other people on here who have
worked so hard, they are doing an incredible job. PC-BSD 8 is already a
better system that 7 in every respect, and they have integrated fixes and
enhancement extremely fast.
Try complaining to Ubuntu for a comparison - and Canonical makes a profit on
that.

--
Thanks,
Mike Bybee