[PC-BSD Testing] Virtual Box on PC-BSD 8.0-BETA 64Bit

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.com
Tue Jan 12 07:25:50 PST 2010

On 01/12/2010 03:10, Johann Hugo wrote:
> On Tuesday 12 January 2010, Alexander Yerenkow wrote:
>> 12.01.2010 9:50, Johann Hugo пишет:
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> I see that Virtual Box can only run as root on my PC. One of the problems
>>> is that /root runs out of disk space when Virtual Box creates the virtual
>>> disks there. Another problem is that I cannot do X forwarding over an ssh
>>> connection.
>>>
>>> I've added my normal user to vboxusers in the /etc/group file, but I
>>> still cannot run it as a normal user.
>>>
>>> Does anyone know how I can get Virtual Box to run under a normal user and
>>> not as root ?
>>
>> you better move /root/.visrtbox to somewhere where's a lot of space, and
>> make a link :)
>
> I'll do that. Is there a reason why PCBSD runs Virtual Box as root and not as
> a normal user ?

The answer is that even when running VirtualBox as your regular user,
it's still using root permissions, since the binary would be set mod
4511. I'll experiment with doing that again here, but when virtualbox
first hit ports, it had issues with running in that mode in a
non-standard directory, I.E. /usr/local

http://www.pcbsd.com