[PC-BSD Testing] samba module

Stephan Assmus superstippi at gmx.de
Tue Jan 12 01:30:26 PST 2010

Hi,

On 2010-01-11 at 22:49:34 [+0100], Kris Moore <kris at pcbsd.org> wrote:
> On Mon, 11 Jan 2010, Mike Bybee wrote:
> > On Mon, Jan 11, 2010 at 1:37 PM, Kris Moore <kris at pcbsd.com> wrote: On
> > 01/10/2010 17:53, Dru Lavigne wrote:
> > > system settings ->  samba: needs to prompt for admin password or else
> > > everything is greyed out
> > >
> > > none of the buttons work in samba ->  printers when it is started
> > > with kdesu kcmshell4
> > kcmsambaconf (users tab is also still empty)--I will tell readers that
> > these two tabs will work in a future version of PC-BSD as this is most
> > likely a KDE issue that won't be solved soon
> >
> > The missing "administrator mode" button for system settings will be
> > added in KDE 4.4. it sounds like :)
> >
> > However, in the meantime, users can run samba config by going to start
> > -> system -> Samba Manager, where I've created an icon to run it with
> > kdesu :P
> >
> > There are several 'patches' of this sort in PC-BSD, and I'm wondering;
> > is this normal for KDE? I'm typically not a KDE user (I use it only on
> > PC-BSD), but it seems that it lacks a lot of polish. KDE 3.5 seemed
> > more 'finished' than 4 does.
>
> In the past it hasn't been so normal, but this particular bug just took
> them a LONG time to get fixed, not sure what the deal with that was. Even
> OpenSUSE and others we're having to do workarounds like this to make it
> functional :(
>
> At least its going into 4.4 now, so going forward we can expect this to
> be fixed finally.

Hopyfully this doesn't come across the wrong way, I don't mean this to be
discouraging, it's just an observation: When I have been installing various
operating systems these past days, I noticed many faults, broken stuff and
missing features. FreeBSD was an especially mixed experience. I installed
all these operating systems to perform a specific benchmark. FreeBSD was
great in that it was the best performer. It kicked Linux butt by being
about 13% faster. What I also liked about FreeBSD was that the porters of
Gnome left most of the default configuration intact so I could see Gnome as
it was intended to work. Unfortunately, a lot of stuff is either missing or
not working in Gnome on FreeBSD. For example, the users/group
administration is simply not working at all. Since I was ignorant of what
the "wheel" group means in FreeBSD and somehow managed to not have my
regular user be part of this, this was especially annoying for me. In fact,
if there would have been no #freebsd on freenode, I would have been totally
lost facing most problems. A second computer browsing documentation was
also a necessity.

I've also used PC-BSD 7.1.1 and openSUSE 11.2 as KDE 4 systems. So far, I
am pretty disappointed in KDE. The technology underneath it may be great.
I've been programming with the Qt toolkit a bit to know it's quite a decent
framework. However, while I've read great things about the innovativeness
of KDE 4, I cannot *at all* see what's innovative about it in terms of
end-user experience. I find the Gnome experience much smoother and much
more geared towards putting the user in control.

In any case, I am digressing, since I don't want these observations to be
about Gnome versus KDE... instead I want to make a point about
"distributions". From my observations, what seems to be the case is that
distribution makers are somewhat detached from the projects that they use
to put their distribution together. If something is broken in the software,
complete features are being turned off, as was suggested already several
times in the short time I've been subsribed to this list. On the FreeBSD
platform, there seems to be this additional layer of the "port".

As a result, the quality of the platforms/distributions I have tried, seems
to be a direct reflection of how good the ability of the team to actually
fix issues in the used software (or to extend the software with some much
needed tools, for example KDE4 on openSUSE is so much more useful thanks to
YAST2). I don't expect that line of thought to be a revelation to any of
you, but I would urge you guys to take your time with the PC-BSD 8.0
release. Try to fix not only mis-configurations, but also real problems in
the software you are putting together and your OS will be so much better.
And send the patches back upstream. :-) It may be a totally wrong
impression I have got, but to me it seems like there is too little working
together between various projects.

Best regards,
-Stephan