[PC-BSD Testing] samba module

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.org
Mon Jan 11 13:49:34 PST 2010

On Mon, 11 Jan 2010, Mike Bybee wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 11, 2010 at 1:37 PM, Kris Moore <kris at pcbsd.com> wrote:
> On 01/10/2010 17:53, Dru Lavigne wrote:
> >

> > system settings ->  samba: needs to prompt for admin password or else everything is greyed out
> >
> > none of the buttons work in samba ->  printers when it is started with kdesu kcmshell4
> kcmsambaconf (users tab is also still empty)--I will tell readers that these two tabs will work in
> a future version of PC-BSD as this is most likely a KDE issue that won't be solved soon
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > Dru
> >

> The missing "administrator mode" button for system settings will be
> added in KDE 4.4. it sounds like :)
>
> However, in the meantime, users can run samba config by going to start
> -> system -> Samba Manager, where I've created an icon to run it with
> kdesu :P
>

> --
>
> Kris Moore
> PC-BSD Software
> http://www.pcbsd.com
>

> There are several 'patches' of this sort in PC-BSD, and I'm wondering; is this normal for KDE? I'm
> typically not a KDE user (I use it only on PC-BSD), but it seems that it lacks a lot of polish. KDE 3.5
> seemed more 'finished' than 4 does.
>
> --
> Thanks,
> Mike Bybee
> !DSPAM:1,4b4b96be20144149716687!

In the past it hasn't been so normal, but this particular bug just took them a LONG
time to get fixed, not sure what the deal with that was. Even OpenSUSE and others we're having
to do workarounds like this to make it functional :(

At least its going into 4.4 now, so going forward we can expect this to be fixed finally.