[PC-BSD Testing] Testing Floppies (Continued: lshal -m)

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.org
Mon Jan 11 13:15:08 PST 2010

On Mon, 11 Jan 2010, doverosx at gmail.com wrote:

> Ian Robinson wrote:
>> Re:  Testing Floppies (Continued with lshal -m)
>>
>> Brodey Dover said:
>>
>>> There is another way to check though, if you launch lshal -m and then
>>> insert the disk there should be information that would show what lshal
>>> is up to, or not up to.
>>>
>>> You can do this for the other two cases, insert disk, click on floppy
>>> from places and click on floppy from dolphin-admin.
>>>
>>> We know that it is setup and ready to go, there HAS to be some service
>>> or application that doesn't feel like playing together.
>>

>> Test #1 -- Inserting floppy only:
>>
>> To set up, I opened up two terminal windows.
>> In terminal #1, I started lshal -m as root (#)
>> In terminal #2, I started lshal -m as normal user (%):
>> ==================================
>> [IR at pcbsd-2337]/home/IR(1)% lshal -m
>>
>> Start monitoring devicelist:
>> ==================================
>> Inserted floppy -- nothing automatic.
>>
>> Test #2
>> In terminal #3, I mounted the floppy manually:
>>
>> root at pcbsd-2337# mount_msdosfs /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy
>> root at pcbsd-2337#
>>
>> I had no activity at all reported in the terminals running lshal
>>
>> I then unmounted the floppy
>>
>> Test #2 (Dolphin-Admin)
>>
>> With lshal -m running in both a root terminal (#) and regular user
>> (%), I loaded Dolphin-Admin.
>> (Remember that /etc/fstab was edited to mount /dev/fd0 for rw,noauto)
>>
>> I clicked on the floppy icon in "Places" and the floppy mounted.
>> There was no activity in the terminal windows running lshal.
>>
>> Test #3 (Dolphin-Regular)
>>
>> The "usual" error message as reported frequently herein and the floppy
>> did not mount.
>> There was no activity in the terminals running lshal.
>>
>> Ian Robinson
>> Salem, Ohio

This one is a bit beyond me, and without a floppy drive, makes it a tad
difficult to debug :P

I would recommend sending this info over to Joe Marcus Clark on the
via the "report hal bugs" link on trac.pcbsd.org. Hes the maintainer of HAL
and can probably answer as to why its not working pretty quickly. Just
be sure to send over the lshal output and stuff, that'll help him out :)