[PC-BSD Testing] A little suggestion

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.com
Mon Jan 11 12:39:52 PST 2010

On 01/11/2010 14:34, Alexander Yerenkow wrote:
> 11.01.2010 16:51, Mike Bybee пишет:
>>

>> On Mon, Jan 11, 2010 at 7:35 AM, Alexander Yerenkow <yerenkow at uct.ua
>> <mailto:yerenkow at uct.ua>> wrote:
>>
>> Hello all!
>> As you all may know, soon will be release of PC-BSD 8.0.
>> What I'm afraid of - is bugs/upgrades of installer, fixes and upgrades
>> will not be seen until 8.1.
>> I'd like to hear comments in this mail list about such idea:
>> Add in installer additional step, just before current first.
>> At this step will be two option:
>> - Start included DVD/USB Installer
>> - Setup Network, Download and start latest version Installer
>>
>> How about this?
>> This will allow for users to get features which probably will not
>> be in
>> release, but appear just after that.
>> Also, If someone get burned DVD 8.0, he could use it in near
>> future for
>> network install of 8.1/8.2. ... for example :)
>> Waiting for comments.

>> This is how I would expect the "install from Internet" (or whatever
>> the exact wording is) check box to work. I think sysinstall has done
>> that for ages, right?
> Nope, install from internet will get current 8.0 version files and
> install it.
> While "get latest installer" will download installer binaries, launch
> this new installer.
> New installer can be enhanced to provide select for user which version
> install (8.0, 8.1, FreeBSD-min, FreeBSD with X, etc)
> New install can contains some bug-fixes, enhancements, like creating
> crypted partitions with password protect etc.
> Something like this :)

I personally think this is an awesome idea, since most of our tools /
installer live in memory FS, we could update it via the internet prior
to starting installation. However, I don't think we should put this in
8.0 so close to release, it would need some major testing and new code
to get working properly. Go ahead and put it on the schedule for 8.0.1 /
8.1 though, and I'll plan on starting work on it sometime after 8.0 hits :)

http://www.pcbsd.com