[PC-BSD Testing] A little suggestion

Alexander Yerenkow yerenkow at uct.ua
Mon Jan 11 11:34:24 PST 2010

11.01.2010 16:51, Mike Bybee пишет:

> On Mon, Jan 11, 2010 at 7:35 AM, Alexander Yerenkow <yerenkow at uct.ua
> <mailto:yerenkow at uct.ua>> wrote:
>
>     Hello all!
>     As you all may know, soon will be release of PC-BSD 8.0.
>     What I'm afraid of - is bugs/upgrades of installer, fixes and upgrades
>     will not be seen until 8.1.
>     I'd like to hear comments in this mail list about such idea:
>     Add in installer additional step, just before current first.
>     At this step will be two option:
>     - Start included DVD/USB Installer
>     - Setup Network, Download and start latest version Installer
>
>     How about this?
>     This will allow for users to get features which probably will not
>     be in
>     release, but appear just after that.
>     Also, If someone get burned DVD 8.0, he could use it in near
>     future for
>     network install of 8.1/8.2. ... for example :)
>     Waiting for comments.

> This is how I would expect the "install from Internet" (or whatever
> the exact wording is) check box to work. I think sysinstall has done
> that for ages, right?
Nope, install from internet will get current 8.0 version files and
install it.
While "get latest installer" will download installer binaries, launch
this new installer.
New installer can be enhanced to provide select for user which version
install (8.0, 8.1, FreeBSD-min, FreeBSD with X, etc)
New install can contains some bug-fixes, enhancements, like creating
crypted partitions with password protect etc.
Something like this :)