[PC-BSD Testing] Testing Floppies (corrections & update)

Stephan Assmus superstippi at gmx.de
Mon Jan 11 01:59:45 PST 2010

Hi,

On 2010-01-10 at 18:29:03 [+0100], Ian Robinson <fitchkendall at gmail.com>
wrote:
> 4.  Conclusion:  Dolphin regular does not permit floppy mounts
> while Dolphin Admin does.  Like Al said, there is probably a permission
> problem that regular Dolphin does not overcome.
>
> Sorry for the errors, and I hope this info helps.

I don't know if I am adding useful info, but maybe the following is
related: I performed a FreeBSD installation (since PC-BSD 8.0 did not
recognize my SATA harddrive during installation, but that's another story),
and managed to screw up my system in various ways. Among other things, I
tried to trouble shoot using the PC-BSD 8.0 beta in live CD mode. Dolphin
displayed a ReiserFS volume in the left-side "places bar", but double
clicking it didn't allow me to mount it. IIRC, I received the same error as
described for the floppy above. Maybe there is a general problem with
mounting volumes as regular user? IMHO, for the target audience of PC-BSD,
mounting any type of volumes should generally be allowed as regular user.
If for some reason, access should be restricted for some users, there
should be the option to do that, but it shouldn't be the default.

Best regards,
-Stephan