[PC-BSD Testing] Testing Floppies (Continued: lshal -m)

Ian Robinson fitchkendall at gmail.com
Sun Jan 10 21:29:33 PST 2010

Re:  Testing Floppies (Continued with lshal -m)

Brodey Dover said:

>There is another way to check though, if you launch lshal -m and then
>insert the disk there should be information that would show what lshal
>is up to, or not up to.
>
>You can do this for the other two cases, insert disk, click on floppy
>from places and click on floppy from dolphin-admin.
>
>We know that it is setup and ready to go, there HAS to be some service
>or application that doesn't feel like playing together.

Test #1 -- Inserting floppy only:

To set up, I opened up two terminal windows.
In terminal #1, I started lshal -m as root (#)
In terminal #2, I started lshal -m as normal user (%):
==================================
[IR at pcbsd-2337]/home/IR(1)% lshal -m

Start monitoring devicelist:
==================================
Inserted floppy -- nothing automatic.

Test #2
In terminal #3, I mounted the floppy manually:

root at pcbsd-2337# mount_msdosfs /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy
root at pcbsd-2337#

I had no activity at all reported in the terminals running lshal

I then unmounted the floppy

Test #2 (Dolphin-Admin)

With lshal -m running in both a root terminal (#) and regular user (%), I
loaded Dolphin-Admin.
(Remember that /etc/fstab was edited to mount /dev/fd0 for rw,noauto)

I clicked on the floppy icon in "Places" and the floppy mounted.
There was no activity in the terminal windows running lshal.

Test #3 (Dolphin-Regular)

The "usual" error message as reported frequently herein and the floppy did
not mount.
There was no activity in the terminals running lshal.

Ian Robinson
Salem, Ohio