[PC-BSD Testing] Testing Floppies Update

Ian Robinson fitchkendall at gmail.com
Sun Jan 10 12:25:10 PST 2010

I previously reported that I after creating a mount point (/mnt/floppy) and
modifying /etc/fstab to include the following line
/dev/fd0     /mnt/floppy     msdosfs   rw,noauto    0  0

Thereafter, the following questions were raised by Dru Lavigne and Brodey
Dover

On Sun, Jan 10, 2010 at 1:51 PM, Ian Robinson <fitchkendall at gmail.com>wrote:

> Re:  Dru's question:
>
> >Does Dolphin admin-mode mount the floppy without the changes to fstab and
> devfs?
> >If so, I will advise users to use Dolphin-admin. If not, Kris needs to fix
> some config stuff :-)
>  >Cheers,
> >
> >Dru
> >

> re: Brodey Dover's comment:
>
>  >When working it should be mounted to /media/floppy.
> >
> >Also, when working, your floppy should work akin to a USB device. I
> >don't think you should write up anything like updated fstab because you
> >would be writing a hack-around tutorial for something that is actually
> >broken.
> >
> >Brodey

1.  The answer is no, the floppy mount does not work w/o changes to fstab.

Using the original PCBSD configuration to /etc/fstab and /etc/devfs.conf,
Dolphin Admin will not open a floppy disk when you click or double click the
floppy icon in the "Places" section of Dolphin Admin.  I get the following
error
message:

'An error occurred while accessing 1440-KB 3.5" drive', the system
responded:
org.freedestop.Hal.Device.Volume.UnknownFailure:
mount: /dev/fd0 : Operation not supported by device.

2.  The exact same error message you occurs if you are using
normal Dolphin.

3.  If you compare the case where you have the line inserted in /etc/fstab,
and clicking the floppy icon in normal Dolphin's "Places,"
the error message is completely different, namely:

An error occurred while accessing '1440-KB 3.5" drive', the system
responded:
mount_msdosfs: /dev/fd0: Operation not permitted.

The difference is without the line in /etc/fstab,
the message references Hal.Device.Volume,
and with the line it does not reference Hal.

4.  Mounting in Dolphin-admin is supported when you modify /etc/fstab with:
/dev/fd0     /mnt/floppy     msdosfs   rw,noauto    0  0

In other words, I did not need to edit the /etc/devfs.conf to get it to
mount.

5.  Reminder about another Dolphin-Admin failure:
It will not open a text editor to permit editing while in admin.
Ironically normal Dolphin normal does launch a text editor, but one
cannot edit files owned by root with normal Dolphin.

The error message generated by Dolphin Admin while double-clicking
or attempting to launch a text editor is:

KDEInit could not launch 'usr/local/kde4/bin/kwrite'.

Ian Robinson
Salem, Ohio