[PC-BSD Testing] Testing Floppies (corrections & update)

Ian Robinson fitchkendall at gmail.com
Sun Jan 10 09:29:03 PST 2010

 re:  Comments #4 and #5

>4.  Kris' testing request to try using #mount -t msdosfs /dev/fd0 /mnt
>at the command line did work or, now that -t msdosfs variation is
>deprecated, #mount_msdosfs /dev/fd0 /mnt.

 ". . . now that -t msdosfs variation is deprecated . . . "  My bad.
It is "-t msdos" -that is deprecated.
On the other hand, "-t msdosfs" is not deprecated
but merely replaced with "mount_msdosfs."

re comment #5.

>I adopted Dru Lavigne's method used in The Best of FreeBSD Basics,
>p. 259 (shameless plug for her book) by creating a mount point at
>/mnt/floppy and editing /etc/fstab with the following line:
>/dev/fd0             /mnt/floppy     msdos   rw,noauto               0
  0

My second bad was to use msdos instead of msdosfs in the /etc/fstab.
Thus the correct line should be:

/dev/fd0             /mnt/floppy     msdosfs   rw,noauto               0
  0

So . . .After the correction to /etc/fstab,

1.  you cannot mount the floppy from "regular" Dolphin.
Double clicking on the floppy icon (in "Places") generates
the following error message:

An error occurred while accessing '1.44-KB 3.5" drive',
mount_msdosfs: /dev/fd0  Operation not permitted.
This is occurring even though the /etc/devsf.conf was
changed to permit all users to use fd0 per earlier post.

2.  However, when you start Dolphin-Admin (i.e. becoming the super user),
Dolphin Admin will mount the floppy.
In my case, it mounted at /mnt/floppy, probably because
of the definition I placed in /etc/fstab.

3.  Inserting the floppy does not cause an auto-mount.
You must still double-click the floppy icon in Dolphin-Admin.

4.  Conclusion:  Dolphin regular does not permit floppy mounts
while Dolphin Admin does.  Like Al said, there is probably a permission
problem that regular Dolphin does not overcome.

Sorry for the errors, and I hope this info helps.

Ian Robinson
Salem, Ohio