[PC-BSD Testing] rest of today's notes

Alexander Yerenkow yerenkow at uct.ua
Sun Jan 10 02:35:08 PST 2010

2010/1/10 Dru Lavigne <drulavigne at sympatico.ca>

>  system settings -> appearance -> splash screen: there is no preview
> available for hubble
>
> system settings -> accessibility -> text-to-speech -> general: enable
> option is greyed out and screen indicates that kttsd is not running.
> However, kttsd starts if I manually start this module with kdesu kcmshell4
> kcmkttsd and click the enable box.
>
> both festival and festival lite crash when you click Test to test the
> voice; both work (sort of) in the Jobs tab of text-to-speech. The speech is
> somewhat garbled and only catches half of each sentence, but this is on an
> old text box (will try again next week on newer hardware). Would be great if
> someone with fairly recent hardware could test to see if they have any
> better luck (perhaps this is just resource intensive?)

I posted this to kde-freebsd guy, Dima Panov, he is going to try investigate
this.
I dig a bit deeper, and found that tts is working indeed, From command line
I can get any text spoken, even in unsupported russian festival language.
Seems there is some trouble with kttsd itself, and it'll be not fixed in
release :(

> Cheers,
>
> Dru

Regards,