[PC-BSD Testing] 8.0-beta x64 testing, few issues

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.com
Fri Jan 8 06:48:41 PST 2010

On 01/06/2010 07:12, rascal wrote:
> Hi all!
> This is my first email ever to mailing list, so hopefully it will work :)
>
> I installed 8.0-beta x64 on my laptop (thinkpad R61 with nvidia video
> card) and I'd like to report this issues:
>
> 1. slow boot of the cd. The hardware detection was quick, but loading of
> the modules needed for zfs (zfs.ko, opensolaris and so on...) was very
> slow. But maybe this cannot be improved. It's not that big problem
> anyway, since it happens only from CD.

Yea, I see that here on a few of my systems, for the moment it can't be
helped. We need to load all those modules to support a variety of
installations, and we don't keep the cd mounted during the rest of the
boot phase, so its critical to load them at this point.

> 2. Czech translation of the installer is very bad. I mean VERY bad. I
> understand that someone has little time to do that, but the language is
> VERY bad (it's supposed to be funny or what, but it isn't), many things
> are missing.
> I'd like to help, but don't know how, and can't promise I will have time
> (exams coming), but I can do some reviews at least.

Well, it looks like you've managed to fix most of the translation, its
96% complete now :)

http://pootle2.pcbsd.org/

> 3. Installer appearance: on some screens (eg. the third one) the font is
> too big, so it doesn't fit well in the window. There are many similar
> graphical glitches, It would be nicer if they weren't there. We don't
> need bells and whistles in the installer, but it should look well done.

I'll take a look at that, some of the qt layout stuff acts weirdly on a
few of the screens, not sure why yet.

> 4. I have an nvidia quadro NVS 140M graphic card, the nvidia driver is
> working well. But since pcbsd 7.x (I didn't try earlier versions) I have
> a this problem. Right after the installation, when the comp is first
> rebooted, there is a "graphic card wizard" thing. I choose the driver,
> the test goes well, the driver is set up. Then I guess it tries to load
> kdm and continue to KDE, but this is not working. I keep receiving
> messages like that:
> login:
> X server startup timeout, terminating
> Xserver for display 0: cannot be started, session disabled.
>
> This goes again and again. When I restart my laptop, it loads kdm
> without problems, nvidia driver is working well. I don't know, if this
> happens when I enter this graphical card wizard later, but after
> installation it happens always.

I know there are some bugs in the 64bit nvidia driver at this point,
causing it to only work once, and after you close X & try to restart it
fails. It sounds like what you are seeing, hopefully they get it fixed
soon :)

> 5. I was going to complain about ugly KDM theme, but the new one is very
> nice. The old one didn't work well on my widescreen, the background was
> in 4:3 ratio and on the sides there where some ugly artefacts. Now its nice.

Great, Thanks to James Nixson!

> 6. iwn driver could be enabled by default (as wpi and ipw are). Many
> laptops has intel 4965 wifi, so it would be nice. It's probable, that it
> needs also this line
>
> legal.intel_iwn.license_ack=1
>
> probably yes, all intel wifi cards needs this licence acknowledgement...

Good thinking, added.

> 7. not sure about this one, but powerd seem not to be running in default install.

Correct, powerd causes lockups with the new nvidia drivers on some
systems. I'll re-enable it when that gets fixed by either nvidia or
freebsd :)

http://www.pcbsd.com