[PC-BSD Testing] ports jail weirdisms

Sam Fourman Jr. sfourman at gmail.com
Wed Jan 6 12:46:39 PST 2010

On Wed, Jan 6, 2010 at 1:24 PM, Dru Lavigne <drulavigne at sympatico.ca> wrote:

>> > Is there some kind of background script that affects the ports jail?
>> >
>> > I manually downloaded ports.tar.gz and untarred it to /usr (within the
>> > ports jail). About an hour later, both /usr/ports and /usr/ports.tar.gz had
>> > disappeared (the ports jail was running the entire time). Restarting ports
>> > jail did not make the files magically reappear...
>> >
>> > FWIW, I came across a similar error a few weeks back but figured it was
>> > just an anomaly.
>>
>> That's a new one to me. Once the jail is started, there shouldn't be any
>> scripts / processes touching it at all. Can you easily duplicate it?
>

> It seems to be hit and miss. e.g. I can run ports jail for weeks with no
> probs, then have everything disappear out of the blue. Anyone else ever run
> across this?

I might have.... I did the same thing... downloaded ports.tar.gz and extracted..
while it was extracting I got sidetracked. I ended up not looking at
this till the next morning,
and there was no ports tree it was gone... I just wrote it off as
"Maybe I was ssh to another box" and never thought of it till now.

Sam Fourman Jr.