[PC-BSD Testing] New blurb I thought some might like about AMD v Intel

Matt Olander matt at ixsystems.com
Mon Jan 4 13:34:30 PST 2010

On Mon, Jan 4, 2010 at 12:28 PM, Arthur Koziol <A-Koziol at neiu.edu> wrote:
> On 01/04/2010 12:58 PM, Matt Olander wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, Jan 4, 2010 at 10:34 AM, doverosx at gmail.com<doverosx at gmail.com>
>>  wrote:

>>> Interesting...I thought it was a fact that WAS widely known and the
>>> issue remedied by the order of the FTC in 2000-2001? Circa K7 Athlons.
>>>
>>> Intel seems to be quite evil in how they handle some key operations, of
>>> course, the way they have been "handling" business these days has earned
>>> their appearance in an OpenBSD song ;).
>>>

>> It *is* the Intel Compiler, after all. Nobody has to use it and I'm
>> not really sure why anybody would try to use it on a non-Intel system
>> ;)
>>
>> -matt
>>

> Matt,
>
> Bigger picture than just "use something else", imagine all the lost revenue
> for AMD because something showed better benchmarks with Intel versus AMD and
> someone went with Intel as a result. Evil is as evil does. It's funny though
> that when you look at the TOP500, top 3 spots run AMD. HA!

Haha, good point, Arthur. It's definitely a shady thing to do on
Intel's part but I'm just not surprised to find that an Intel Compiler
would compile more efficiently on Intel CPU's. I can't imagine a large
AMD cluster compiling their custom code on anything closed and
Intel-specific like the Intel Compiler though. Ironically, we're
trying to get some traction with Intel to get a modern port of the
compiler on FreeBSD, along with some development tools that are
currently Windows and Linux specific.

While AMD may have caught Intel with their pants down a few years ago
and had the edge, there is no doubt that the tide has turned and Intel
responded with very fast modern CPUs, regardless of what the code is
compiled on. I'm sure we'll see AMD step it up in their next
architecture :)

-matt