[PC-BSD Testing] New blurb I thought some might like about AMD v Intel

Arthur Koziol A-Koziol at neiu.edu
Mon Jan 4 12:28:36 PST 2010

On 01/04/2010 12:58 PM, Matt Olander wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 4, 2010 at 10:34 AM, doverosx at gmail.com<doverosx at gmail.com>  wrote:
>
>> Arthur Koziol wrote:
>>
>>> http://www.osnews.com/story/22683/Intel_Forced_to_Remove_Cripple_AMD_Function_from_Compiler_
>>>
>>> Pretty evil if you asked me. Seems Intel is batting a thousand lately.
>>> Hope AMD takes 'em to the cleaners.
>>>

>> Interesting...I thought it was a fact that WAS widely known and the
>> issue remedied by the order of the FTC in 2000-2001? Circa K7 Athlons.
>>
>> Intel seems to be quite evil in how they handle some key operations, of
>> course, the way they have been "handling" business these days has earned
>> their appearance in an OpenBSD song ;).
>>
> It *is* the Intel Compiler, after all. Nobody has to use it and I'm
> not really sure why anybody would try to use it on a non-Intel system
> ;)
>
> -matt

Matt,

Bigger picture than just "use something else", imagine all the lost
revenue for AMD because something showed better benchmarks with Intel
versus AMD and someone went with Intel as a result. Evil is as evil
does. It's funny though that when you look at the TOP500, top 3 spots
run AMD. HA!

Arthur