[PC-BSD Testing] PCBSD 8 Release: Oh noes, for me it no goes (Intel no-3D = great success, very nice, I like)

Arthur Koziol A-Koziol at neiu.edu
Mon Feb 22 12:49:35 PST 2010

On 02/22/2010 2:27 PM, Kris Moore wrote:
> On 02/22/2010 15:23, Arthur Koziol wrote:

>>> Sure! ibus startup is in /usr/local/etc/xdg/autostart/ as
>>> "ibus.desktop", remove that, and it'll be gone :)
>>>

>> Kris,
>>
>> Guess what? I removed iBus from startup, re-ran Display Wiz and am
>> currently running Intel-3D with no desktop lockout. Everything works for
>> now. I am going to let it run for a while and see what happens. Try some
>> apps and reboot a few more times to see if it stays the way it is. For
>> me, that kind of confirms what I thought originally a bit: iBus in 8.0
>> final doesn't like Intel 3D on the i915. If anything happens I'll follow up.
>>
>> Arthur
>>
> ? I didn't even consider that as a remote possibility at first, because
> iBus is keyboard input stuff, not sure how / why it would mess up video
> display... Alexander, any thoughts on this? You probably know more about
> iBus than me :P

Kris,

Yes, that's what I thought too. Input method for keyboard and language
stuff should have nothing to do with it. But, in playing around a bit
more, I can't say iBus is 100% the culprit because although I am able to
run apps and do stuff now with Intel 3D enabled, Dolphin was acting
weird a second ago and I am seeing a bit of the same behavior as I did
when I first began reporting this weirdness. So right now, I am running
8.0 Final 32-bit with no additional apps installed. The behavior I when
I started the thread was the random logout of desktop...more like an X
hissyfit and a quick garble on the screen...and getting kicked back out
to the login prompt. This happened when I put the 8.0 DVD in the drive
and was attempting to browse the PBIs to install Firefox and a couple
other apps. It kicked me back out to the login prompt one more time
before I was able to run the installer for Firefox. I also got a desktop
lock-up once when I chose to restart. It just sits frozen on the restart
computer window and no input from the mouse initiates the restart. I had
to punch the power button to initiate a shutdown. So I am not sure about
it now. Do you want me to look at anything else? It sort of half works
even if it is kind of half assed. =)

Arthur