[PC-BSD Testing] PCBSD 8 Release: Oh noes, for me it no goes (Intel no-3D = great success, very nice, I like)

Arthur Koziol A-Koziol at neiu.edu
Mon Feb 22 12:23:58 PST 2010

On 02/22/2010 2:09 PM, Kris Moore wrote:

>>> Well, that helps solve some of the issue, sounds like something broken
>>> in the new intel DRI / xorg server 1.6.5.
>>>
>>> On the freebsd-x11 mailing list, here's some of the open bugs they still
>>> have, see several issues with intel driver listed:
>>>
>>> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-x11/2010-February/009356.html
>>>
>>> Funny thing is, the update makes my Intel Laptop perform 100% faster,
>>> fixes some screen corruption issues I was seeing with the older stuff.
>>> Sheesh, fix one, break the others :P
>>>

>> Kris,
>>
>> Of course. But it's pretty well know the 2.7.1 drivers are terrible,
>> especially on the 915 series that I have. I don't know if we'll see
>> anything past 2.7.1 for some time because didn't a lot of DRM stuff get
>> pulled out from the 2.8 driver onward for KMS in Linux? Until BSD gets
>> KMS, I think we'll be stuck with 2.7.1. I wonder why it was ok RC2
>> though. Can you tell me how to prevent iBus from starting up? I tried to
>> figure it out myself but could not and I wanted to try something.
>>
>> Arthur
>>

> Sure! ibus startup is in /usr/local/etc/xdg/autostart/ as
> "ibus.desktop", remove that, and it'll be gone :)

Kris,

Guess what? I removed iBus from startup, re-ran Display Wiz and am
currently running Intel-3D with no desktop lockout. Everything works for
now. I am going to let it run for a while and see what happens. Try some
apps and reboot a few more times to see if it stays the way it is. For
me, that kind of confirms what I thought originally a bit: iBus in 8.0
final doesn't like Intel 3D on the i915. If anything happens I'll follow up.

Arthur