[PC-BSD Testing] PCBSD 8 Release: Oh noes, for me it no goes (Intel no-3D = great success, very nice, I like)

Arthur Koziol A-Koziol at neiu.edu
Mon Feb 22 12:03:36 PST 2010

> On 02/22/2010 14:15, Arthur Koziol wrote:
>
>> Kris,
>>
>> Ok, I re-installed 8.0 Release and chose Intel (no-3D) and all works
>> well sans FX of course. Do you want me to see what .xsessions-errors
>> looks like in RC2 on a fresh install to do a comparison?
>>
>> Here's the output from the .xsession-errors file on 8.0 final (32-bit):
>>

> Well, that helps solve some of the issue, sounds like something broken
> in the new intel DRI / xorg server 1.6.5.
>
> On the freebsd-x11 mailing list, here's some of the open bugs they still
> have, see several issues with intel driver listed:
>
> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-x11/2010-February/009356.html
>
> Funny thing is, the update makes my Intel Laptop perform 100% faster,
> fixes some screen corruption issues I was seeing with the older stuff.
> Sheesh, fix one, break the others :P

Kris,

Of course. But it's pretty well know the 2.7.1 drivers are terrible,
especially on the 915 series that I have. I don't know if we'll see
anything past 2.7.1 for some time because didn't a lot of DRM stuff get
pulled out from the 2.8 driver onward for KMS in Linux? Until BSD gets
KMS, I think we'll be stuck with 2.7.1. I wonder why it was ok RC2
though. Can you tell me how to prevent iBus from starting up? I tried to
figure it out myself but could not and I wanted to try something.

Arthur