[PC-BSD Testing] PCBSD 8 Release: Oh noes, for me it no goes

Mike Bybee mbybee at dometrilogy.com
Mon Feb 22 09:54:29 PST 2010

On Mon, Feb 22, 2010 at 10:37 AM, Kris Moore <kris at pcbsd.com> wrote:

> stop

> >> I have 8 running on an Intel 64 PC. Never used auto-login, so I'm not
> >> experiencing the issue that you have. I'm very surprised that 8 was
> >> "released" when all the major issues have not been retested. The main
> >> issue with Software Manager is unresolved. KsCD still does not play. NTP
> >> is still broken. Should we have another RC before the final, official
> >> release?
> >>

> > Too late. Release announcement is on the site. Great job all. Looking
> > forward to 8.1.
> >
> > Kris,
> >
> > Is ZFS at a state where it could be made the default FS?
> >

> NOO!! :)
>
> ZFS, while great, is a HUGE memory hog, running on i386, or on a system
> with less than 4GB of RAM, its still possible to crash it by copying
> large files over a fast network connection (like 20GB file or so). If
> they improve it to the point where it "just works" on 512MB of ram then
> I'll be happy to default to it, until then we are simply stuck waiting
> for the "average" system to have more memory to accommodate ZFS.
>

> --
>
> Kris Moore
> PC-BSD Software
> http://www.pcbsd.com

Seconded - *please* do not default to ZFS in the foreseeable future. It's
really not ready for desktop usage by average people. It's fantastic server
FS, but I don't think the target audience for PC-BSD is ideal for it (yet).

I also don't look forward to the poor schmuck who tries to help someone else
recover a drive that's ZFS (and doesn't know it). It's not nearly as common
as ext2, fat32, ntfs, ufs, etc...

--
Thanks,
Mike Bybee