[PC-BSD Testing] PCBSD 8 Release: Oh noes, for me it no goes

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.com
Mon Feb 22 09:37:46 PST 2010

On 02/22/2010 12:32, finid at linuxbsdos.com wrote:
>>> Kris,
>>>
>>> Ok, ok so I know it hasn't been OFFICIALLY released but that didn't stop
>>> me from grabbing it (32-bit) from one of the mirrors over the weekend to
>>> be able to install on my work abuse PC this morning. Here are a couple
>>> things that I have already experienced on not one, not two, but three
>>> fresh re-installs:
>>>
>>> 1. I have it set to autologin but after a few seconds of sitting on the
>>> desktop, it suddenly logs off and sits at the prompt for username and
>>> password. If I log in, it will load the desktop and then nothing works
>>> but the mouse. Clock on things and hovering over stuff does nothing. I
>>> have to hit the power button to shut down. On subsequent tries I notice
>>> that the iBus icon in the tray is not visible. There's a blank space in
>>> it's place as if it is loaded but the icon is not displaying.
>>>
>>> 2. On subsequent boots, if I do make it to the desktop and it does not
>>> log off, nothing is clickable on the desktop. It seems frozen. Can't
>>> drop down to command line either.
>>>
>>> I'm going to let it sit for a while and see if something times out or
>>> pops up. Kris, anything you want me to try?
>>>

>> I have 8 running on an Intel 64 PC. Never used auto-login, so I'm not
>> experiencing the issue that you have. I'm very surprised that 8 was
>> "released" when all the major issues have not been retested. The main
>> issue with Software Manager is unresolved. KsCD still does not play. NTP
>> is still broken. Should we have another RC before the final, official
>> release?
>>

> Too late. Release announcement is on the site. Great job all. Looking
> forward to 8.1.
>
> Kris,
>
> Is ZFS at a state where it could be made the default FS?

NOO!! :)

ZFS, while great, is a HUGE memory hog, running on i386, or on a system
with less than 4GB of RAM, its still possible to crash it by copying
large files over a fast network connection (like 20GB file or so). If
they improve it to the point where it "just works" on 512MB of ram then
I'll be happy to default to it, until then we are simply stuck waiting
for the "average" system to have more memory to accommodate ZFS.

http://www.pcbsd.com