[PC-BSD Testing] PCBSD 8 Release: Oh noes, for me it no goes

finid at linuxbsdos.com finid at linuxbsdos.com
Mon Feb 22 09:20:59 PST 2010

> Kris,
>
> Ok, ok so I know it hasn't been OFFICIALLY released but that didn't stop
> me from grabbing it (32-bit) from one of the mirrors over the weekend to
> be able to install on my work abuse PC this morning. Here are a couple
> things that I have already experienced on not one, not two, but three
> fresh re-installs:
>
> 1. I have it set to autologin but after a few seconds of sitting on the
> desktop, it suddenly logs off and sits at the prompt for username and
> password. If I log in, it will load the desktop and then nothing works
> but the mouse. Clock on things and hovering over stuff does nothing. I
> have to hit the power button to shut down. On subsequent tries I notice
> that the iBus icon in the tray is not visible. There's a blank space in
> it's place as if it is loaded but the icon is not displaying.
>
> 2. On subsequent boots, if I do make it to the desktop and it does not
> log off, nothing is clickable on the desktop. It seems frozen. Can't
> drop down to command line either.
>
> I'm going to let it sit for a while and see if something times out or
> pops up. Kris, anything you want me to try?

I have 8 running on an Intel 64 PC. Never used auto-login, so I'm not
experiencing the issue that you have. I'm very surprised that 8 was
"released" when all the major issues have not been retested. The main
issue with Software Manager is unresolved. KsCD still does not play. NTP
is still broken. Should we have another RC before the final, official
release?

--
Fini Decima