[PC-BSD Testing] PCBSD 8.0-RC2-x86 & Nvidia Legacy Driver Screen Corruption

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.com
Mon Feb 22 08:19:17 PST 2010

On 02/21/2010 11:45, Ian Robinson wrote:
> PCBSD 8.0-RC2-x86&  Nvidia Legacy Driver Screen Corruption
>
> On 2/19/10, Kris Moore<kris at pcbsd.org>  wrote:
>> Thanks! BTW, I think the nvidia port just got updated today to fix that
>> compile error, you may want to run portsnap again shortly to try
>> recompiling.
>>

> I downloaded and compiled the new 96.43.16 successfully.
>
> Although the opening screens were promising because there was little
> or no speckled dots at all on the screen.  However, after approx 40
> minutes, the screen corrupted badly.  The colors were much 'prettier'
> which you can see from the attached screen capture but all menus were
> unreadable.
>
> The system itself functioned without problem, but using it consisted
> of a braille-like trial&  error method (i.e., as if blind).  For
> example, to get the screen capture utility, I used the barely visible
> search box function at the top of the kicker menu to locate 'screen
> capture', clicked the corrupted choice, and clicked the corrupted
> 'save' button.  I rebooted with a 'reboot now' command in the terminal
> window that lay behind everything.   Thus, the system is functional if
> you can guess where your mouse is clicking and type in the commands,
> but the newest driver is not helpful for this corruption problem.  The
> cause remains unknown.
>
> Ian Robinson
> Salem, Ohio

Ok, that helps confirm at least that the issue still occurs in the
latest drivers. Just for kicks again, can you re-confirm that switching
back to "nv" or "vesa" gets rid of these problems? If we can for sure
confirm that its only "nvidia" 96.43.xx related, we can then take this
to nvidia with details. We'll need to let them know your particular
card, with details about OS, such as FreeBSD 8.0 / xorg-server 1.6.5, etc:

Here's where we've been communicating a lot with Christian Zander @
Nvidia. He's aware of some issues on 8.0 right now and will hopefully be
fixing them soon, but if he doesn't know about this one we can get him
to add it to the list :)

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=47

http://www.pcbsd.com