[PC-BSD Testing] PCBSD 8 Release: Oh noes, for me it no goes

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.com
Mon Feb 22 07:42:59 PST 2010

On 02/22/2010 10:34, Arthur Koziol wrote:
> Kris,
>
> Ok, ok so I know it hasn't been OFFICIALLY released but that didn't stop
> me from grabbing it (32-bit) from one of the mirrors over the weekend to
> be able to install on my work abuse PC this morning. Here are a couple
> things that I have already experienced on not one, not two, but three
> fresh re-installs:
>
> 1. I have it set to autologin but after a few seconds of sitting on the
> desktop, it suddenly logs off and sits at the prompt for username and
> password. If I log in, it will load the desktop and then nothing works
> but the mouse. Clock on things and hovering over stuff does nothing. I
> have to hit the power button to shut down. On subsequent tries I notice
> that the iBus icon in the tray is not visible. There's a blank space in
> it's place as if it is loaded but the icon is not displaying.
>
> 2. On subsequent boots, if I do make it to the desktop and it does not
> log off, nothing is clickable on the desktop. It seems frozen. Can't
> drop down to command line either.
>
> I'm going to let it sit for a while and see if something times out or
> pops up. Kris, anything you want me to try?
>
> Arthur

Odd, did you get a good install each time? No crashing / reboots? If you
login to virtual console 1, Ctl-Alt-F1, and look at your
/home/arthur/.xsession-errors file after a login attempt, what errors do
you see?

Any non-standard install options? Using ZFS? How about video driver?

You know the routine, more details the better :)

http://www.pcbsd.com