[PC-BSD Testing] PCBSD 8.0-RC2-x86 & Nvidia Legacy Driver Screen Corruption

Ian Robinson fitchkendall at gmail.com
Sun Feb 21 08:45:32 PST 2010

On 2/19/10, Kris Moore <kris at pcbsd.org> wrote:
> Thanks! BTW, I think the nvidia port just got updated today to fix that
> compile error, you may want to run portsnap again shortly to try
> recompiling.

I downloaded and compiled the new 96.43.16 successfully.

Although the opening screens were promising because there was little
or no speckled dots at all on the screen.  However, after approx 40
minutes, the screen corrupted badly.  The colors were much 'prettier'
which you can see from the attached screen capture but all menus were
unreadable.

The system itself functioned without problem, but using it consisted
of a braille-like trial & error method (i.e., as if blind).  For
example, to get the screen capture utility, I used the barely visible
search box function at the top of the kicker menu to locate 'screen
capture', clicked the corrupted choice, and clicked the corrupted
'save' button.  I rebooted with a 'reboot now' command in the terminal
window that lay behind everything.   Thus, the system is functional if
you can guess where your mouse is clicking and type in the commands,
but the newest driver is not helpful for this corruption problem.  The
cause remains unknown.

Ian Robinson
Salem, Ohio