[PC-BSD Testing] PCBSD 8.0-RC2-x86 - crashed upgrade install

Ian Robinson fitchkendall at gmail.com
Fri Feb 19 11:46:58 PST 2010

Ian Robinson said:

Re: PCBSD 8.0-RC2-x86 - crashed on upgrade (Kris Moore)

> > I rebooted and found the original slice and its files unaltered.  I
> started
> > the upgrade install again and it appears to be running fine the second
> time
> > around.
> >
> > Ian Robinson
> > Salem, Ohio

Ian Robinson said:

I spoke too soon.  Try #2 crashed with the same error.  Perhaps there is an
> issue with the upgrade script.

Kris Moore asked:

> Can you give me the file-system layout you we're originally using? How
> about the actual failure message from the GUI as well. If you click on
> "more details" and scroll to the bottom, take a look through the logs,
> do you see an Error: message?
>
> --
>
> Kris Moore
> PC-BSD Software
> http://www.pcbsd.com
>

> ------------------------------

@ Kris,

The computer has two IDE hard disks a 40Gb primary and 250 Gb secondary.  I
was upgrading to -RC2 over top of -BETA installed on the 40Gb primary
(ad0s1) whose file system was configured with the default "use entire disk"
option.

FDISK reported:
Geometry:  4865 cyls/255 heads/63 sectors = 78156225 sectors (38162MB)
Offset       Size(ST)        End            Name  PType       Desc
Subtype    Flags
       0        255               254              -        12
unused          0
   255        78164385   78164639    ad0s1    8            freebsd        16
78164640  720            78165359        -      12             unused
      0

the BSD Label Editor reported:

Disk: ad0       Partition name: ad0s1   Free: 10657 blocks (5MB)

Part      Mount          Size Newfs   Part      Mount          Size Newfs
----      -----          ---- -----   ----      -----          ---- -----
ad0s1a    <none>       2048MB *
ad0s1b    swap         3070MB SWAP
ad0s1d    <none>       1024MB *
ad0s1e    <none>      32019MB *

Mount command reported:

/dev/label/rootfs0 on / (ufs, local, soft-updates)
/dev/label/var0 on /var (ufs, local, soft-updates)
/dev/label/usr0 on /usr (ufs, local, soft-updates)

To summarize, the file system was the "usual" PCBSD 8.0 default.

The attempted upgrade install to -RC2 was over top of that filesystem.

The pc-sysinstall log shows

1.  a long list of errors chflag errors relating to an input/output error re
attempting to modify all of the files in /mnt/usr/ports, and
2.  an error showing that the umount command did not work.

Here is the specific output from the pc-sysinstall.log:

"cleaning old file system"
chflags -R noschg /mnt
chflags: /mnt/usr/ports/<port_dir>/<port_file_name>: Input/output error

    Note:  The last error repeats hundreds of times as it traverses ports
    where <port_dir> is the name of a port (like /usr/ports/www/firefox and
    where <port_file_name> is the name of
    the specific file within the port (like "makefile" or "dist-files").

running:  sh /tmp/.pc-sysintsall/.upgrade-umount
umount: /mnt/usr:  not a file system root directory.

Ian Robinson
Salem, Ohio