[PC-BSD Testing] PCBSD 8.0-RC2-x86 - crashed upgrade

Ian Robinson fitchkendall at gmail.com
Thu Feb 18 15:46:48 PST 2010

On Thu, Feb 18, 2010 at 6:16 PM, Ian Robinson <fitchkendall at gmail.com>wrote:

> I was upgrading to -RC2 over top of -BETA on yet another machine.  The
> installer crashed, although it started the process normally.
>
> After "cleaning up old file system" the install began to fail.  The install
> log shows a long list of errors right after these commands:
>
> "cleaning old file system"
> chflags -R noschg /mnt
> chflags: /mnt/usr/ports/<port_dir>/<port_file_name>: Input/output error
>
> The last error repeats hundreds of times where <port_dir> is the name of a
> port (like /usr/ports/www/firefox and where <port_file_name> is the name of
> the specific file within the port (like "makefile" or "dist-files").
>
> After the list runs its course, the next command is:
>
> umount: /mnt/usr:  not a file system root directory.
>
> Evidently the upgrade script did not mount something.
>
> I rebooted and found the original slice and its files unaltered.  I started
> the upgrade install again and it appears to be running fine the second time
> around.
>
> Ian Robinson
> Salem, Ohio

I spoke too soon.  Try #2 crashed with the same error.  Perhaps there is an
issue with the upgrade script.

Just in case anyone wants to know, the md5 checksum for this iso was valid,
the disk passed the integrity check, and it was previously used to make a
successful fresh install on another computer.

I will bypass the upgrade and go to a fresh install.