[PC-BSD Testing] PCBSD 8.0-RC2-x86 - crashed upgrade

Ian Robinson fitchkendall at gmail.com
Thu Feb 18 15:16:56 PST 2010

I was upgrading to -RC2 over top of -BETA on yet another machine.  The
installer crashed, although it started the process normally.

After "cleaning up old file system" the install began to fail.  The install
log shows a long list of errors right after these commands:

"cleaning old file system"
chflags -R noschg /mnt
chflags: /mnt/usr/ports/<port_dir>/<port_file_name>: Input/output error

The last error repeats hundreds of times where <port_dir> is the name of a
port (like /usr/ports/www/firefox and where <port_file_name> is the name of
the specific file within the port (like "makefile" or "dist-files").

After the list runs its course, the next command is:

umount: /mnt/usr:  not a file system root directory.

Evidently the upgrade script did not mount something.

I rebooted and found the original slice and its files unaltered.  I started
the upgrade install again and it appears to be running fine the second time
around.

Ian Robinson
Salem, Ohio