[PC-BSD Testing] PCBSD 8.0-RC2-x86 & Nvidia Legacy Drivers -- Follow-up

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.com
Thu Feb 18 09:01:38 PST 2010

On 02/17/2010 23:03, Ian Robinson wrote:
> Re:  Follow-up on screen corruption with PCBSD 8.0-RC2-x86&  Nvidia Legacy
> Driver 96.43.13.
>
> Ian Robinson's original post said:
>
>>> -RC2 x64 with Nvidia 192.22 is behaving very nicely for me, but -RC2 and
>>> legacy drivers caused grief when I did a fresh install of -RC2-x86 on an
>>> older computer.  The older computer uses an Nvidia GeoForce 4 card (a Ti
>>> 4200) and the legacy driver installed is 96.43.13 . . . .
>>> The 96.43.xx driver worked well under PCBSD 7.1.1.  Under PCBSD
> 8.0-Alpha,
>>> it worked but not without some screen corruption such as random speckled
>>> dots across the display and an occasional but not major horizontal line
> or
>>> two distorting the text or graphic which would go away if you scrolled
> the
>>> item beneath them up or down off the screen and brought it back.  I have
> not
>>> tested this computer with 8.0-BETA or 8.0-RC.  The behavior in -RC2 is
> worse
>>> that the Alpha series. . . .
>>> After the passage of some minutes, the screen corrupts badly with thick
>>> black horizontal bands across the display.  Ultimately, the system will
>>> freeze.
>>>
>>> I wonder if that is part of the problem?  We all know that FreeBSD is at
>>> RELEASE stage.  Given that Nvidia 96.43.16 is newer than 96.43.13, are
> they
>>> both living in a FreeBSD 7.x world rather than FreeBSD 8.0?  That would
>>> explain why the drivers worked great with FreeBSD 7.x and did not work
> with
>>> FreeBSD 8.0.  There could be other reasons, though.  Is PCBSD 8.0-RC2
>>> breaking something because of its recent upgrade to xorg-server 1.6.1?
>
> Kris Moore said:
>
>> Ian,
>>
>> Since the driver actually installs and starts to work at first, I'm
>> guessing its a compat issue with the FreeBSD 8.0 base, or the new
>> xorg-server 1.6.5. If you want, you can grab a copy of 8.0-RC, which has
>> the older Xorg-server, that way we can narrow it down to the system itself.
>
> ================= Follow-up==========================
>
> I grabbed PCBSD 8.0-RC-x86, put the nVidia card back in and installed the
> -RC with a fresh install using the nVidia 96.43.13.
>
> I have had no problems, so it may well be that the new xorg-server 1.6.5 is
> involved to some degree in causing conflict with 96.43.13.
>
> Ian Robinson
> Salem,  Ohio

Do you know how to update the freebsd driver? After you are installed,
do a "portsnap fetch extract update" to grab the latest ports tree,
download the freebsd 8.0-source then do this:

# cd /usr/ports/x11/nvidia-driver-96/
# make
# make deinstall
# make install

Then reboot, does the 96.43.16 work better?

http://www.pcbsd.com