[PC-BSD Testing] PCBSD 8.0-RC2 x64 usbdisk installation

rascal rascal at tiscali.cz
Thu Feb 18 07:00:25 PST 2010

Hi!
I bought yesterday a 8GB stick to try the usbdrive installation. The
first thing I've noticed is, that USB image is aprox 400MB larger than
dvd-iso? why???

Anyway, tried making the bootable usb (under winxp) using Unetbootin,
didn't work.
then I found this utility
https://launchpad.net/win32-image-writer/+download
and worked nice, so maybe someone could add this to the wiki page (just
a note, the usb drive with the image is not readable under windows, you
could mention that too, so people are not scared...)

The installation seem to be faster from flash drive, and also quiet (no
nasty dvd swapping). Big plus
I did the install in czech language, looks nice. Also the installer now
looks nice, there are no graphical glitches except those two:
On the "choose distribution" (sorry, can't remember now) screen the
icons seem to be little "cut off", but not a big deal.
What looks nasty is the windows which shows the installation progress.
Because of the very long pathways do differnt files, some of them are
longer than the "box" in which the files are listed. This makes the box
to be resized to fit it to the long lines. As a result averything in the
box is unreadable, because it's jumping like hell all the time. This
could be solved somehow better (adding and empty line and wrapping the
excessive text to the second line..., or truncating the excessive
text... I don't think that everage user has to know every file that is
copied)

I chose nvidia drivers and seem to work nice. Didn't test the system
much, but internet worked, wlan (iwn driver) is loaded too.
KDE 3D effects worked too.

I'll add more later.

michal