[PC-BSD Testing] PC-BSD 8 RC2

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.com
Tue Feb 16 11:05:03 PST 2010

On 02/14/2010 01:25, Johann Hugo wrote:
> Some comments:
>
> -It looks great, thanks to the team
>
> -The new X driver for Intel cards works a lot faster on an old PC

> - X config tool ignored my 1440x900 selection and defaulted to 1024x768
> setting the monitor frequency manually does not help
> Got a working xorg.conf withXorg  -configure
> Culprit seems to be option NoDDC
> original xorg.conf works fine if I comment it out.

Fixed this in SVN, that option is removed from the intel configs now,
forgot to do that earlier :)

> - The software manager works fine, until one of the installs fails (pbi not
> there or network down etc)
> after that it wil download other pbi's, but they are not installed
> If I download them via firefox and install then with dolphin it works fine

These should be corrected in SVN now as well.

> - When X starts up, it displays a message:
> Power management
> The profile has been selected, but it does not exist

Yea, this is cosmetic right now, will investigate further when we move
to KDE 4.4.0 :)

> General question:
> Firefox seems to run away and eat up all my memory. On a PC with 512MByte of
> ram it gets very slow. Is there a way I can one place a limit on the amount
> of memory that firefox may use ?
>
> Regards
> Johann

I'm seeing it use a lot of RAM as well right now. Even with it loading
every single library included, that's only around 50MB, so something is
going on there. I'll have to investigate this further, may be a bug in
FF 3.5.7. FireFox 3.6 is scheduled to build on our server, once that's
done I'll re-test and see if it still shows that much usage.

http://www.pcbsd.com