[PC-BSD Testing] Software Install Issues

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.com
Tue Feb 16 10:56:30 PST 2010

On 02/16/2010 13:26, finid at linuxbsdos.com wrote:
>> On 02/13/2010 16:48, Neal wrote:
>>> The software installer seems broken.  If I run updates on current
>>> installed software in either reports the file corrupted or fails to
>>> install the update at all and goes back to reporting "Update Available".
>>>
>>> New software installs download then suddenly disappear and never
>>> install.  This is a fresh install.
>>>
>>> I am using an AMD 64X2 5200 processor, ASUS motherboard, 4 gigs of RAM
>>> and a 500GB hard drive.  Homebuilt system.
>>>
>>> I will say that I am loving PC-BSD very much.  Looking forward to the
>>> final release of version 8.  Been using Ubuntu Linux (for driver
>>> support, ain't no newb) for a couple years now.
>>
>> I was able to duplicate this issue here, and its been fixed in SVN now.
>>
>> If you would be willing to confirm it fixes your problem, follow these
>> steps:
>>
>> # svn co svn://svn.pcbsd.org/pcbsd/trunk/SoftwareManager
>> # cd SoftwareManager
>> # qmake-qt4 *.pro
>> # make install (as root)
>>
>> Now run the software manager, does it work properly?
>>

> I've had the same issue too, but it does not happen with all installs. In
> any case, followed all the steps and to test it, I installed Skype. No
> problem with the installation. However, a issue that I reported in
> previous email has not been addressed. And the issue is this and I'll use
> the Skype I just installed as an example. Right after I installed Skype, I
> went back to the Software Browser and selected Skype for installation
> again. The system went right ahead and started downloading Skype for
> installation.
>
> Is anybody else experiencing this?

Fixed this here, go ahead and re-do the SVN / compile stuff to see changes.

Basically, I just re-worded the download notification a bit, to notify
you if you are downloading an existing app, and that the old one will
get over-written. This ability is intentional, should the case arise
that the user has a corrupt app, and wants to re-download it, or if you
don't want to use the upgrade abilities, and want to replace an old
version with a newer one manually.

http://www.pcbsd.com