[PC-BSD Testing] PC-BSD 8 RC2

Johann Hugo jhugo at meraka.csir.co.za
Sat Feb 13 22:25:44 PST 2010

Some comments:

-It looks great, thanks to the team

-The new X driver for Intel cards works a lot faster on an old PC

- Installation was smooth

-The new splash page during bootup looks great, but it will not always go the
text mode if I hit any key.

- X config tool ignored my 1440x900 selection and defaulted to 1024x768
setting the monitor frequency manually does not help
Got a working xorg.conf withXorg  -configure
Culprit seems to be option NoDDC
original xorg.conf works fine if I comment it out.

- The software manager works fine, until one of the installs fails (pbi not
there or network down etc)
after that it wil download other pbi's, but they are not installed
If I download them via firefox and install then with dolphin it works fine

- When X starts up, it displays a message:
Power management
The profile has been selected, but it does not exist

General question:
Firefox seems to run away and eat up all my memory. On a PC with 512MByte of
ram it gets very slow. Is there a way I can one place a limit on the amount
of memory that firefox may use ?

Regards
Johann