[PC-BSD Testing] PC-BSD 8 RC2 testing: issues and suggestions

finid at linuxbsdos.com finid at linuxbsdos.com
Sat Feb 13 11:02:43 PST 2010

Hi:

This is my first time of digging into PC-BSD, and here are some of the
"issues" and suggestions I have after installing this RC.

My test machine is an Intel Quad Core 64-bit with just one HD.

1. The installer - Since I have just 1 HD in the PC, I was expecting the
installer to select it automatically. Instead it was giving me three
options to choose from - da0, da1 and ad4. ad4 is the HD. Looks like it is
detecting the flash reader port and USB port as possible hard drives.

2. If you select "install PC-BSD bootloader" at the Disk section, I think
the next section could be a Bootloader section. A section where you may
configure aspects of the bootloader. For example, if BTX is
password-protectable, this would be the place to set the password.

3. When you select auto-partition at the Disk section, I think it would be
nice to give the user an opportunity to review the slices. That would be a
good time to decide whether to encrypt the slices. You could do this if
you custom-partition, but it would be nice to give us the opportunity to
review the slices before proceeding with the rest of the installation.

3a. By default, the installer creates slices for /, /usr, /vasr and swap.
How about giving /home its own slice?

4. Since disk encryption is supported, I think it would be better to have
an option to encrypt the disk as a unit instead of the individual slices.
I'm thinking along the lines of Fedora's implementation of disk encryption
(see
http://linuxbsdos.com/2010/02/02/how-fedora-protects-your-data-with-full-disk-encryption/).

5. Is enabling the auto-login feature a good security practice? I think
this should be off by default.

6. In the Components section, some of the applications under Available
Components are those you will have to install after rebooting into your
new system. Why not have them installed by default. I'm referring
especially to OpenOffice.org and Firefox.

7. I understand that this is KDE-based distribution, but not everybody
wants to use KDE. During installation, I think it would be nice to give
users the opportunity to install their choice of DE. We can do this after
installation, but ...

8. While in the Software Browser tab of pbiDIR it seems as if there is no
way to tell if an application is already installed. The system will
actually install an application that is already installed.

9. If you choose "Automatically update software" in the Software tab of
Software Manager Configuration, how often does it check for updates? Could
we specify the time interval for the system to check for updates?

10. The system could not id the vendor of my monitor, an LG HDTV Monitor
M237WD. I chose 1024x768 screen resolution, and that was the highest
screen resolution available after the system was up and running.

11. The network manager applet should be in the systray by default.
Currently, it is not.

12. I have an HP Deskjet F4280. It is not auto-detected or
auto-configured. It is not even in the printer database. In short, i could
not add the printer to the system.

13. How is disk encryption supposed to work on PC-BSD? I chose to install
one of the slices, and was expecting to be asked to enter a password or
passphrase at some point during the installation. But that did not happen.

14. NTP synchronization is selected by default, but after installation, I
noticed that NTP was not configured. The system could not contact any of
the time servers when I then tried to configure it.

15. I think PC-BSD needs a welcome application. This is a kind of
application that would be started on first boot and allow a user to
customize different aspects of their desktop. Pardus and Linux Mint have
an application just like that.

16. There are certain apps I think should be installed by default if they
are in the repo. Java JRE is one of them. It would be nice if it is
installed by default.

More to come.

--
Fini Decima