[PC-BSD Testing] PCBSD 8-RC issues and wishes

yurkis yurkis at gmail.com
Mon Feb 8 12:05:43 PST 2010

>> Networking:
>> 1. I can confirm problem with static IP setup (I can not set static IPv4
>> by
>> GUI, ifconfig shows only 0.0.0.0)
>> 2. Network manager seems like can not set DNS and gateway in same time at
>> least with static IPv4 configuration (same problem was in nearly 7x
>> releases)
>> 3. Seems like in FreeBSD 8.0-p2 support for my DLink 1Gb ethernet card is
>> broken (when i ping gateway ping command shows message 'device is busy',
>> and
>> adapter is'nt work propertly). In 8-BETA same network card worked fine :(
>
> This is on a laptop or system with wifi right? Can you send me the
> rc.conf that the GUI generated?

No. That is desktop  with D-Link DGE-528T 1Gb and nVidia onboard ethernet.
Sorry, I can't send to you rc.conf now. I'll try to do that tomorrow.

>> Desktop (wishes an problems)
>> 1. Even if I set 'Effect for window switching' in Desktop settings to 'No
>> effect', windows is switching by "Flip" effect, so I can not disable it.
>> (please confirm)
>
> This may be fixed in KDE 4.3.5, have to re-test it there and if it still
> fails, file a KDE bug :)

Hmm.. Interesting bug. Thanks.

>> 2. Please leave less visual effects in default setting (at least disable
>> "Flip" window switching effect - it looks nice but it will cause
>> uncomfortably desktop using just after few minutes)
> >
>> PS Kris, could you produce intermediate build before RELEASE? It may be
>> RC2
>> or some nightly build(s). Many bugs was fixes after -RC, and also I must
>> check ukrainian translation (still broken in -RC).
>>

> I'm rolling a RC2 right now with all the latest fixes, KDE 4.3.5 and
> Xorg Server 1.6.5. It should be up in the next few days.

Thank you. I hope I'll have more time for testing in real hardware.

PS
Also I found interesting thing in BETA (may be also in RC). I found
nvidia-settings in installed packages but it has'nt icon in K menu. Could
you add that icon when user choose nvidia binary driver? That will be
usefull for some people. Thanks.