[PC-BSD Testing] Wine vs. VirtualBox

Arthur A-Koziol at neiu.edu
Sat Feb 6 13:25:13 PST 2010

>I vote with Brody Dover for VirtualBox because it offers more than Wine does.
>I could never get Wine to run WordPerfect or Adobe Acrobat (not
>Reader) and certain OCR programs.  Now that VirtualBox was ported to
>FreeBSD and PCBSD gave us a PBI for it, I have no further need for
>Wine.  VirtualBox is our friend.
>However, Wine would work for those who do not have a Windows license
>(and who could find fault with that!), so it is needed.
>VirtualBox runs Windows faster than Windows.  VirtualBox is our friend.
>VirtualBox lets you run other operating systems too (FreeBSD, PCBSD,
>and Linux) so it's good for testing.  VirtualBox is our friend.
>VirtualBox is under rapid development.  VirtualBox is our friend.
>I'm hoping VirtualBox adds USB support to the OSE Edition soon.
>Ian Robinson
>Salem, Ohio

You have to remember that soon Oracle will be buying Sun and they
might not keep VB going or do something dumb like charge for it. Case
in point: Crystal Ball. Used to be owned by a small company called
Decisioneering and they used to offer a great concurrent license
product for my University. Oracle bought Crystal Ball, killed the
concurrent license deal and now charge per-seat. It was kind of a
dick move on Oracle's part and it put the screws to the faculty /
students who used it. I would not put it past Oracle to pull some
similarly stupid move with VB if only to make money off it. JMTC:
compared to how long VMWare's been around and how long VB has been
around, VMWare feels the heat on their ass from a VERY well rounded
product like VB. We'll see what happens. I agree that WINE has it's
place but when you have VB, why putz around with WINE when you can
fire up a licensed OS VM and run your app as it was meant to run?