[PC-BSD Testing] Wine vs. VirtualBox

Arthur A-Koziol at neiu.edu
Sat Feb 6 13:25:13 PST 2010

>I vote with Brody Dover for VirtualBox because it offers more than Wine does.
>
>I could never get Wine to run WordPerfect or Adobe Acrobat (not
>Reader) and certain OCR programs.  Now that VirtualBox was ported to
>FreeBSD and PCBSD gave us a PBI for it, I have no further need for
>Wine.  VirtualBox is our friend.
>
>However, Wine would work for those who do not have a Windows license
>(and who could find fault with that!), so it is needed.
>
>VirtualBox runs Windows faster than Windows.  VirtualBox is our friend.
>
>VirtualBox lets you run other operating systems too (FreeBSD, PCBSD,
>and Linux) so it's good for testing.  VirtualBox is our friend.
>
>VirtualBox is under rapid development.  VirtualBox is our friend.
>
>I'm hoping VirtualBox adds USB support to the OSE Edition soon.
>

>Ian Robinson
>Salem, Ohio

Ian,

You have to remember that soon Oracle will be buying Sun and they
might not keep VB going or do something dumb like charge for it. Case
in point: Crystal Ball. Used to be owned by a small company called
Decisioneering and they used to offer a great concurrent license
product for my University. Oracle bought Crystal Ball, killed the
concurrent license deal and now charge per-seat. It was kind of a
dick move on Oracle's part and it put the screws to the faculty /
students who used it. I would not put it past Oracle to pull some
similarly stupid move with VB if only to make money off it. JMTC:
compared to how long VMWare's been around and how long VB has been
around, VMWare feels the heat on their ass from a VERY well rounded
product like VB. We'll see what happens. I agree that WINE has it's
place but when you have VB, why putz around with WINE when you can
fire up a licensed OS VM and run your app as it was meant to run?

Arthur