[PC-BSD Testing] Wine vs. VirtualBox

Mike Bybee mbybee at dometrilogy.com
Sat Feb 6 13:24:55 PST 2010

On Sat, Feb 6, 2010 at 1:30 PM, Ian Robinson <fitchkendall at gmail.com> wrote:

> I vote with Brody Dover for VirtualBox because it offers more than Wine
> does.
>
> I could never get Wine to run WordPerfect or Adobe Acrobat (not Reader) and
> certain OCR programs.  Now that VirtualBox was ported to FreeBSD and PCBSD
> gave us a PBI for it, I have no further need for Wine.  VirtualBox is our
> friend.
>
> However, Wine would work for those who do not have a Windows license (and
> who could find fault with that!), so it is needed.
>
> VirtualBox runs Windows faster than Windows.  VirtualBox is our friend.
>
> VirtualBox lets you run other operating systems too (FreeBSD, PCBSD, and
> Linux) so it's good for testing.  VirtualBox is our friend.
>
> VirtualBox is under rapid development.  VirtualBox is our friend.
>
> I'm hoping VirtualBox adds USB support to the OSE Edition soon.
>

> Ian Robinson
> Salem, Ohio

I appreciate your advice, but I'm already running PC-BSD *in* Virtual Box
for the purpose of this article. The reason I asked my question "will it be
included, or a separate download" was for the purposes of the article, with
regards to running Microsoft Office Communicator (which would be a silly
thing to install XP in Virtual Box for).

I'm already a big fan of Virtual Box, despite the fact that Wine is
preferable for most situations (like running a single small Windows app).

--
Thanks,
Mike Bybee