[PC-BSD Testing] Encrypted Install Problems

Mike Bybee mbybee at dometrilogy.com
Tue Feb 2 12:20:01 PST 2010

On Tue, Feb 2, 2010 at 12:23 PM, Josh Paetzel <josh at tcbug.org> wrote:

> On 02/02/10 13:13, Mike Bybee wrote:
> > Hi all - has anyone had any success doing an encrypted /usr mount on the
> RC?
> > I have one running that way under 7, but so far 3 consecutive installs on
> 8
> > RC have resulted in some variation of this error:
> >
> > (single user mode)
> > Setting hostid: 0x94f9b9ed.
> > Entropy harvesting: interrupts ethernet point_to_point kickstart.
> > Configuring Disk Encryption for label/usr0.
> > geli: Cannot read metadata from label/usr0: Invalid argument.
> > Attach failed; attempt 1of 3.
> > (repeats)
> > Starting file system checks:
> > /dev/label/rootfs0: FILE SYSTEM CLEAN; SKIPPING CHECKS
> > /dev/label/rootfs0: clean, 830817 free (2297 frags, 103565 blocks, 0.2%
> > fragmentation)
> > /dev/lable/var0: FILE SYSTEM CLEAN; SKIPPING CHECKS
> > /dev/label/rootfs0: clean, 484206 free (334frags, 60484 blocks, 0.1%
> > fragmentation)
> > Can't stat /dev/label/usr0.eli: No such file or directory
> > Unknown error; help!
> > ERROR: ABORTING BOOT (sending SIGTERM to parent)!
> >
> > Each time this happens after the initial install complete successfully.
> This
> > is under VirtualBox.
> > Running dmesg shows that the device was created at one point:
> >
> > GEOM_ELI: Device ad0s1e.eli created.
> > GEOM_ELI: Encryption: AES-CBC 128
> > GEOM_ELI:        Crypto: software
> >
> > No errors in dmesg.
> >
> > I'll re-run the same install again w/o encryption, but leave this session
> up
> > for any suggestions.
> >

> The filesystem label probably isn't usr0.eli
>
> Does it go to single user?  Can you ls /dev/label/ ?
>
> - --
> Thanks,
>
> Josh Paetzel

It does go single user. Here's what that produces:
# ls /dev/label
rootfs0 swap0 usr0 var0

Looks like the /etc/fstab has /dev/label/usr0.eli
I tried mounting /usr0 directly (via mount /dev/label/usr0 /usr) and that
seems to work fine. I can read the filesystem.
I modified /etc/fstab for this (saving the original), and I'll try a restart

--
Thanks,
Mike Bybee