[PC-BSD Testing] Encrypted Install Problems

Mike Bybee mbybee at dometrilogy.com
Tue Feb 2 11:13:09 PST 2010

Hi all - has anyone had any success doing an encrypted /usr mount on the RC?
I have one running that way under 7, but so far 3 consecutive installs on 8
RC have resulted in some variation of this error:

(single user mode)
Setting hostid: 0x94f9b9ed.
Entropy harvesting: interrupts ethernet point_to_point kickstart.
Configuring Disk Encryption for label/usr0.
geli: Cannot read metadata from label/usr0: Invalid argument.
Attach failed; attempt 1of 3.
(repeats)
Starting file system checks:
/dev/label/rootfs0: FILE SYSTEM CLEAN; SKIPPING CHECKS
/dev/label/rootfs0: clean, 830817 free (2297 frags, 103565 blocks, 0.2%
fragmentation)
/dev/lable/var0: FILE SYSTEM CLEAN; SKIPPING CHECKS
/dev/label/rootfs0: clean, 484206 free (334frags, 60484 blocks, 0.1%
fragmentation)
Can't stat /dev/label/usr0.eli: No such file or directory
Unknown error; help!
ERROR: ABORTING BOOT (sending SIGTERM to parent)!

Each time this happens after the initial install complete successfully. This
is under VirtualBox.
Running dmesg shows that the device was created at one point:

GEOM_ELI: Device ad0s1e.eli created.
GEOM_ELI: Encryption: AES-CBC 128
GEOM_ELI:        Crypto: software

No errors in dmesg.

I'll re-run the same install again w/o encryption, but leave this session up
for any suggestions.
--
Thanks,
Mike Bybee