[PC-BSD Testing] PC-BSD 8.0-RC

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.com
Mon Feb 1 04:09:04 PST 2010

On 02/01/2010 11:17, Alexander Yerenkow wrote:
> 01.02.2010 17:43, Mike Bybee пишет:
>>

>> On Mon, Feb 1, 2010 at 8:29 AM, Alexander Yerenkow <yerenkow at uct.ua
>> <mailto:yerenkow at uct.ua>> wrote:

>>> PC-BSD - might want to
>>> still not working, it
>>>
>>> Go ahead and enable powerd in the rc.conf, does that help
>>> solve the
>>> problem? The reason we don't enable it by default anymore
>>> is that it
>>> messes up certain devices on 8.0, causes X to lockup :(
>>>
>> Ran few tests, with or without powerd, x, - same. My laptop
>> turning off.
>> sysctl | therm show not high temperature.
>>
>> Tested same with CentOS/PC-BSD7.1.1 - I can do anything, load
>> fully laptop, I even left it at cover (so air can't fully
>> circulate) - not turning off.
>>
>> Seems I have some weird problem with 8.0p2 :(
>>

>> I'm sure you already checked the logs for errors, but I'm curious -
>> what processor speed and what temp settings are you showing under
>> PC-BSD 7?
>> Might try a quick script to grab the output from sysctl -a|grep
>> cpu|grep freq and sysctl -a |grep therm every 60 seconds or so, and
>> see what it runs under PC-BSD 7 vs 8.
>>
>> I know on 7 and 8 alpha my CPU ran at about 50% of full speed most of
>> the time, but on 8 Beta and 8 RC it runs at 100% all the time.
>>
>> Failing that, since you mention it's failing even running without X, I
>> am curious what the logs show. There could be an ACPI issue, possibly?
>
>> Does it crash with ACPI disabled?
> yes :(
>
> I'm going to make one more install soon, will get clean logs then.
> But I don't think that any logs saved - laptop shuted down immediately,
> not even in 100-200ms.
> There is no sign of some fail shutdown seen.

Have you guys been able to try this on FreeBSD 8.0-Release as well? The
8.0-Alphas we're based on FreeBSD 8.0-PreRelease, and its possible
something got broken when we moved to 8.0-Release :(

Also, you may want to post some of your findings over to the ACPI list:

Some of the devs who hangout there may be interested in these errors,
and maybe have a solution :)

http://www.pcbsd.com