[PC-BSD Testing] PC-BSD 8.0-RC

Mike Bybee mbybee at dometrilogy.com
Mon Feb 1 07:43:49 PST 2010

On Mon, Feb 1, 2010 at 8:29 AM, Alexander Yerenkow <yerenkow at uct.ua> wrote:

>>> want to
>>> it
>>>
>>>  Go ahead and enable powerd in the rc.conf, does that help solve the
>>> problem? The reason we don't enable it by default anymore is that it
>>> messes up certain devices on 8.0, causes X to lockup :(
>>>
>>>     Ran few tests, with or without powerd, x, - same. My laptop turning
> off.
> sysctl | therm show not high temperature.
>
> Tested same with CentOS/PC-BSD7.1.1 - I can do anything, load fully laptop,
> I even left it at cover (so air can't fully circulate) - not turning off.
>
> Seems I have some weird problem with 8.0p2 :(

I'm sure you already checked the logs for errors, but I'm curious - what
processor speed and what temp settings are you showing under PC-BSD 7?
Might try a quick script to grab the output from sysctl -a|grep cpu|grep
freq  and sysctl -a |grep therm every 60 seconds or so, and see what it runs
under PC-BSD 7 vs 8.

I know on 7 and 8 alpha my CPU ran at about 50% of full speed most of the
time, but on 8 Beta and 8 RC it runs at 100% all the time.

Failing that, since you mention it's failing even running without X, I am
curious what the logs show. There could be an ACPI issue, possibly?
Does it crash with ACPI disabled?

--
Thanks,
Mike Bybee