Arthur Koziol A-Koziol at neiu.edu
Thu Dec 16 06:24:03 PST 2010

On 12/15/2010 9:03 PM, Ian Robinson wrote:
> Try this from the loader prompt, (Option 7 from boot media)
>
> unload
> disable-module vesa
> set module_path=/boot/kernel;/boot/modules;CONSOLE
> boot
>
> That should disable the vesa splash completely, and then boot to the
> emergency console. From
> there you can try vesa mode, or drop to a shell and modify
> /etc/X11/xorg.conf to change settings.
> Does that get you any farther?
>
> --
> Kris Moore
>
> =============================
>
> Dear Kris --
>
> I got past the splash screen but the screen continued to hang.  But, I
> was exploring the BIOS settings after Arthur Koziol had me looking for
> the ACPI settings.  I never knew that I could change the video memory
> setting.  Once I discovered that I could, I increased the setting for
> video memory from 16 to the max of 32 (don't laugh at these tiny
> amounts).  I can now boot using the vesa mode and get to the PCBSD
> System Installer.
>
> Ian Robinson
> Salem, Ohio

Ian,

It totally didn't occur to me that this was a system that was likely
using shared memory for video. You did mention it was an Intel IGP, I
should have caught that right away. I have heard of this oddity and I
should have had you play with the video memory allocation settings (or
apperature size) from the get go. Glad you got further along.

Arthur