Ian Robinson fitchkendall at gmail.com
Wed Dec 15 19:03:56 PST 2010

Try this from the loader prompt, (Option 7 from boot media)

unload
disable-module vesa
set module_path=/boot/kernel;/boot/modules;CONSOLE
boot

That should disable the vesa splash completely, and then boot to the
emergency console. From
there you can try vesa mode, or drop to a shell and modify
/etc/X11/xorg.conf to change settings.
Does that get you any farther?

Dear Kris --

I got past the splash screen but the screen continued to hang.  But, I was
exploring the BIOS settings after Arthur Koziol had me looking for the ACPI
settings.  I never knew that I could change the video memory setting.  Once
I discovered that I could, I increased the setting for video memory from 16
to the max of 32 (don't laugh at these tiny amounts).  I can now boot using
the vesa mode and get to the PCBSD System Installer.

Ian Robinson
Salem, Ohio