Ian Robinson fitchkendall at gmail.com
Tue Dec 14 17:44:05 PST 2010

On Tue, Dec 14, 2010 at 12:40 PM, <testing-request at lists.pcbsd.org> wrote:

> Today's Topics:
>
>   1. New NVidia Drivers out in the wild: 260.19.29 (Arthur Koziol)
>   2. Re: PCBSD 9.0 hangs during installation (Kris Moore)
>   3. Re: 9-Current: fail       to      mount   from
>  usf:/dev/label/rootfs0 with
>      error 19 (Brian)
>   4. PCBSD 8.2 and 9.0 tests - Language Selection not  working (Sam Lin)
>   5. Re: [PC-BSD 8 Testing] PC-BSD-STABLE (Pre-Release 8.2)
>      (Kris Moore)
>   6. Re: New NVidia Drivers out in the wild: 260.19.29 (Kris Moore)
>   7. Re: PC-BSD 9.0 Snapshot (Kris Moore)

> > On Dec 12, 2010, at 2:28 PM, Ian Robinson wrote:
> >
> > > Testing PCBSD 9.0 i386 on older Acer TravelMate 4001 (Intel Centrino P4
> @ 1.5 GHz, 2 Gb RAM, Intel 82855BG video driver (iwi).
> > >
> > > I was not able to install.
> > >
> > > On "Normal Install" (install option #1) and the VESA install option,
> the installations appear to freeze immediately after going to the PCBSD
> splash screen.  I say appears to freeze because I see no CD disk activity
> and pressing "any key" does not remove the splash screen.  I waited five
> minutes to give it a chance to revive itself, but nothing happened.
> > >
> > > I had more success using Verbose Install -- the installation proceeded,
> let me remove the splash screen to see the dmesg probe scrolling by, but the
> screen goes black and freezes immediately after displaying the message
> "Autoconfiguring X server."  I did not see a white rectangle in the upper
> left corner.  I waited five minutes but nothing else happened.
> > >
> On Sun, Dec 12, 2010 at 05:21:55PM -0800, Wilbert Leeper wrote:
> > I have had that problem for  several years now. In my case  it seems to
> happen if I press a key too soon so I can watch  the boot process. Have you
> tried not pressing a key and waiting? I am doing the install in a VM on my
> Mac but had noticed it also when I had a physical system to use.
> >
> Then Kris Moore said:

Try this from the loader prompt, (Option 7 from boot media)
unload
disable-module vesa
set module_path=/boot/kernel;/boot/modules;CONSOLE
boot

Does that get you any farther?

> --
> Kris Moore
> PC-BSD Software

In reply, I attempted Kris' recommendation.  After entering the commands,
the computer returned to the install routine but not to the "welcome" menu.
Within seconds, the splash screen displayed.  However, as per the suggestion
by Bill Leeper (a.k.a. Protagonist ) I refrained from pressing "any key" to
continue.  I could hear dvd disk activity, and eventually I saw a flash of
dmesg just before it jumped into the video configuration.  And that's where
it hung.

Ian Robinson
Salem, Ohio