[PC-BSD Testing] PCBSD 9.0 hangs during installation

Ian Robinson fitchkendall at gmail.com
Sun Dec 12 14:28:56 PST 2010

Testing PCBSD 9.0 i386 on older Acer TravelMate 4001 (Intel Centrino P4 @
1.5 GHz, 2 Gb RAM, Intel 82855BG video driver (iwi).

I was not able to install.

On "Normal Install" (install option #1) and the VESA install option, the
installations appear to freeze immediately after going to the PCBSD splash
screen.  I say appears to freeze because I see no CD disk activity and
pressing "any key" does not remove the splash screen.  I waited five minutes
to give it a chance to revive itself, but nothing happened.

I had more success using Verbose Install -- the installation proceeded, let
me remove the splash screen to see the dmesg probe scrolling by, but the
screen goes black and freezes immediately after displaying the message
"Autoconfiguring X server."  I did not see a white rectangle in the upper
left corner.  I waited five minutes but nothing else happened.

Ian Robinson
Salem, Ohio