[PC-BSD Testing] Volume icon in taskbar broken in PCBSD 8.1 i386

Sam Lin semin2006 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 11 17:39:08 PST 2010

> Message: 4
> Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2010 13:14:09 -0500
> From: Kris Moore <kris at pcbsd.org>
> To: PC-BSD Testing list <testing at lists.pcbsd.org>
> Subject: Re: [PC-BSD Testing] Volume icon in taskbar broken in PCBSD
> 	8.1 i386

> On Thu, Dec 09, 2010 at 07:34:36PM +1300, Sam Lin wrote:
>> Dear PCBSD fellows,
>>
>> Recently the volume icon in my taskbar appears broken (or missing) for
>> no reason. As you can see in the attached snapshot, it just shows a
>> question mark but it in fact is still functioning. I recall that this
>> also happened some time early this year, though I cannot remember I
>> fixed it by whether just restart or reinstall the system that time.
>> This time the broken volume icon is still there even after restarting
>> the system. The audio is still working; the volume control bar still
>> pops up if click on the question mark and the volume is also
>> controllable. So far it seems it's only the icon that is not right.
>> Why is this, and how to fix this?
>>
>> My system is PCBSD 8.1 (i386). Any suggestion would be appreciated.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Sam
>

> I've never seen that on my systems here... Have you been changing the ports
> around on the system, or
> icon sets? What happens if you close it, and re-open from a konsole session
> using the "kmix" command
> does it throw any interesting errors?
>
> --
> Kris Moore
> PC-BSD Software

I don't know what's going on with my system, but yesterday I noticed
that when I switched mute off (i.e. audio on) the icon showed
properly, and then switching mute on again (i.e. audio off) it
returned back to the question mark. Then mute off, proper audio icon
again; and mute on and question mark again. Then today and as of this
writing now the audio icon showed properly, regardless of the mute
being turned on or off.

I haven't been doing any development work e.g. PBI or testing for the
last couple weeks and didn't bother any ports or icon sets as far as I
can remember....

Apparently this issue cannot be reproduced easily... it's a mystery...

Regards,
Sam